AGING IN PLACE
Crossmount’s Centre for Healthy Aging operates as a centre of excellence in which all aspects of health are able to be met. A special focus is placed first and foremost on preventative strategies for the promotion of health and wellness to enhance individual’s overall quality of life. As well, strong support systems are in place for both the maintenance and management of chronic diseases. At Crossmount, aging-in-place is successful because we provide a safe community, promote health and well-being in a holistic environment, and utilize our on-site health services and community programs to prevent and/or minimize disease. The ultimate goal is independence and optimal health in an environment of respect, dignity, pleasure and community. At Crossmount, the aging-in-place philosophy is more than an idea. It is a way of life. The Crossmount Centre for Healthy Aging allows for this concept to become a reality. Creating a community where residents are able to live independently, safely and comfortably, regardless of their age or ability level, allows our residents to achieve the best possible state of health and wellness and maintain it throughout their lives.
ON-SITE & ALLIED SERVICES
Crossmount has a number of Health Services for residents. Some of these services are also available to the public.
Bayshore Home Health
Services include: personal support/attendant care, companionship, meal preparation, medication reminders, light housekeeping, nursing, chronic disease management support, serious injury home care/case management, hospital bedside care, palliative/end of life care.
Medical Services (Doctor)
General practice health clinic. Services include: family medical care, physicals, medicals and completion of required forms, routine screening tests, women’s health, WCB & SGI injuries, and flu shots.
Clinic is open Thursday mornings from 9:00 am – 12:00 noon. Clinic is open to the public.
Physiotherapy, occupational therapy, massage therapy and speech pathology; Areas of practice include: neuromuscular rehabilitation, senior health, orthopaedics, pelvic health, vestibular rehab, TMJ therapy, home assessment, hand therapy, ergonomic assessment and splinting.
Health advocacy company comprised of licensed experienced health care professionals. Services include: better management & coordination of ongoing health care interventions & appointments, as well as reduce the load on the individual patient & their families in decision making & health care communications.
Our Wellness Director connects residents to any health services and amenities they may require and provides individualized intervention to allow residents to continue living independently in their homes in this true aging-in-place community. As well, a continuity of care among aging older adults is supported. Wellness and recreation programs focus on improving independence as well as overall quality of life with an emphasis on the following goals:
- Functional Intervention: addressing residents’ functional abilities including physical, social, cognitive, emotional and spiritual wellbeing for continued independent living and successful participation in programming.
- Education & Awareness: focusing on the development and acquisition of various skills, attitudes and knowledge to take responsibility for one’s health.
- Participation & Growth: through meaningful program opportunities within the community.
The core programs offered include:
- Fitness & Lifestyle: Providing services and programming that improve and/or maintain physical fitness and functional independence, promote healthy chronic disease management, and help sustain an active lifestyle through endurance, strength, flexibility and balance activities. Offerings include: Forever…in motion exercise classes, walking club, a variety of fitness class options, bocce ball, tandem style biking, and wellness presentations.
- Social Engagement: Providing programming that promotes a healthy and social lifestyle through supportive and interactive experiences. Offerings include: coffee club, ladies/men’s lunches, cards and organized games, monthly socials, happy hours, and group exercise programs.
- Personal Enrichment: Providing opportunities for creative pursuits, self-directed leisure, and cognitive learning involvement through arts and culture opportunities. Offerings include: Crossmount Camera Club, Wildlife Club, creative canvases, greenhouse workshops, speakers series, and tech teaching seminars.
- Community Integration: Providing residents with relevant information and resources for a varied leisure lifestyle that encourages independence, participation, and aging-in-place. Offerings include: wellness presentations, speakers series, Crossmount Corner newsletter committee, community garden and greenhouse initiatives, and the Crossmount Memory Café!
Crossmount Memory Café
The Crossmount Memory Café is a social and recreation support program for people living with dementia and their caregivers. It allows participants the opportunity to meet regularly with others who have shared lived experiences while providing strong levels of interaction through activity based sessions. The Café’s mission is to provide a social, supportive, and dementia-friendly network for people living with dementia and their caregivers. The Crossmount Memory Café is hosted twice a month at Crossmount to fill a need for more older adult initiatives for residents of Saskatoon and surrounding areas. During Café Time, participants can enjoy each other’s company and share in conversation over a refreshment and light snack. Following Café Time, participants have the opportunity to engage in a variety of activities and experiences such as live entertainment, cooperative games, outdoor strolls through the Village, low impact fitness activities, creative expression through art and mixed media, sing-a-longs, reminiscing, festive celebrations, intergenerational activities, and more!
Benefits Gained from Participation in the Café:
- Increased confidence with social interaction and participating in group activities
- Increased awareness of support services, resources, and information available to help support people living with dementia and their caregivers, in their community of choice
- Decreased social isolation and feelings of loneliness
- Improvement in all areas of health including physical, social, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual wellbeing through active participation and engagement
- Increased opportunity to practice day to day skills to gain confidence without fear of failure
- Opportunity to provide attending caregiver with respite time while attending the Café
- Enhanced overall quality of life
- Hosted on the 2nd & 4th Tuesday morning of each month
- The Glen at Crossmount (10 Glen Road, Crossmount, SK S7T 0X8)
- Program Fees
- Following a participant’s first FREE session, they may choose between an annual membership fee of $63.00/year or a drop-in rate of $5/Café
- There is no charge for the caregiver or family member attending with their client/loved one
- The Café is hosted in-person or virtually over Zoom based on the community’s Covid-19 climate
To register a participant or for more information, please contact:
Crossmount Health & Wellness
This initiative is open to the public and is a drop-in style program to provide a social, supportive and educational community for people living with dementia, along with their family members and/or caregivers. The Crossmount Memory Café takes place in The Glen at Crossmount on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month from 10am-12pm. Participants must register in advance.